Saturday, September 6, 2008

Canning

So the canning season has started and I couldn't be more excited! Angie tells me that this is the old woman coming out in me but you are what you are right?!? I have big plans for canning this season (we will see how much of it actually gets done!) So yesterday I attempted pickles. As a child I remember LOVING my Grandma Snyder's pickles. I am hoping that I haven't built them up in my head only to be disappointed! Let me make one recommendation to all of you who have recipes that you hope to one day pass on. Make sure you make it legible! Just because you can read it doesn't mean the future generations will be able to! My grandma had beautiful hand writing but I wouldn't read it when I got the recipe!! She also used words for measurements that I had never heard of! Lucky for me we were able to call my Aunt and have her translate the recipe for us. But what would we have done if she hadn't know it! Anyway I got 22 quarts of pickles put up and am excited to try them in a few months! My next project will hopefully be peaches, then salsa and spaghetti sauce! For me this would be a HUGE accomplishment, unlike some of you who are expert canners. My house will some day get the vinegar smell out of it as will as my hair! Probably when I start my salsa!

6 comments:

shellyray said...

Wow, Heather, you go girl. You are so ambitious. Did all those pickles come from your garden too? I'm exhausted just hearing about all the canning your about to do.

DTanner said...

You're awesome! Every year I tell myself I am going to do jams, apple butter and spaghetti sauce, but I never get it done. Maybe someday...

Angie said...

Looks good Old Lady Crocker! I am so glad you are doing it then maybe I can learn from your mistakes. I can't wait to try the pickles!

Jenny said...

Heather you are amazing! You're going to have to come for a visit and teach us how to can. That would be an awesome homeschool activity for us!

Jodi Gallagher said...

Hey Heath, will you teach me? We could do a day of it! I am moving down by you guys so you can't have any excuses!

Kirstin said...

Hi BFF. Just wanted to give you a shout out. By the way.... You reeked of garlic and vinegar the day you canned the pickles. I could barely stand next to you, and it was all I could do just to stay your friend! I can't wait for peaches! See ya later. I hope you're happy!