Saturday, October 4, 2008

Goodbye Grandpa Zobrist

My Grandpa Zobrist died this week at the young age of 88. He and Grandma have 6 kids, 34 grandchildren and over 100 great and great-great grandchildren. Grandpa lived a full and exciting life but for me it still is hard to see him go. I have been thinking about why it is so hard for me and I think part of the reason is because I feel so guilty for not being better at visiting him. He and Grandma live in Las Vegas and I don't get down very often to visit either of them. The last time I saw Grandpa was at the Zobrist family reunion in the summer of 2007. Though the reunion was hard on him physically, it was so great to get to see him and the rest of my mom's family. I just hope that Grandpa can forgive me for not being better at visiting.

Grandpa lived a life full of travel. He and Grandma served a mission together, he was a successful business man. He also worked as a sealer in the Las Vegas temple. He was able to seal many of my cousins in various temples. I wish that Jess and I had been able to go to the temple years ago and have Grandpa seal us, but I know that when the day comes for Jess and I to go through that Grandpa will be there with us!

I don't have the best memory in the world but I do have a few memories of Grandpa. I was always so excited to go to Vegas as a kid to visit Grandma and Grandpa. They had a great indoor pool for us to swim in and it was a lot of fun. I remember getting to Vegas, walking in and seeing Grandpa (half dressed) on the couch watching t.v. (usually cartoons!) He would hug us all and ask my mom how long we were staying! Can you imagine though the noise 6 kids can make in one house, especially with a pool! Then when it was time to leave he would always kiss us goodbye and in his nicest voice tell mom it was great seeing us and how next time he wished we could stay longer! I remember sitting on the couch watching "Duck Tales with him and one day I was clipping my toe nails. I was probably 9 and so of course I was just clipping them right onto the floor and Grandpa started yelling at me because he said Grandma gets so mad at him when he does that, and I was going to get him in trouble! Looking back I just giggle because no matter if I would get in trouble or not, who wants toe nail clippings on the floor!

Grandpa was know to be grumpy when we were young, but I look back on that with fond memories. I know that he loved all of us!

Goodbye Grandpa! I love you!


This picture was taken in 2006 of Grandpa, Grandma, Garrett and Hunter. Grandma had just finished giving the grandkids rides on her Jazzy. I think she and Grandpa enjoyed doing this almost as much as the grandkids!

3 comments:

LaRae said...

Heather - I loved reading your memories of grandpa. I know you right that when you are sealed, he will definitely be there! What a neat thought. BTW - I just put up a post on my blog that I need my cousins to read ASAP

Queen Bee said...

That picture is SO sweet! What a treasure.

Jodi Gallagher said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa Heath! Hope your doing alright :) We should go out sometime and do something fun! Call me! 691-8402